I had a passing thought that today was probably a telework day no one had told me about. They gave us a telework day last week for a World Cup game. Some of the offices on my floor look out directly on the stadium.
Nevertheless I entered my building, passed by security, and made my way to my office. As I expected, no one else showed up. Well, maybe not no one. I heard someone come around the corner and fill up their water cup so obviously, someone else was on the other wing of my area. And in the last hour, my office neighbor stopped in. But that was the extent of my interactions with people today.
I thought about going home but then I realized that my office window looked out onto a street that had plenty of activity. The police closed off a portion of the road for a while and fans in the colors of Egypt filled the space across the whole way, carrying a large Egyptian flag, almost like an unofficial parade. There were plenty of Argentina colors as well, in smaller groups. It was kind of neat to see.
I also got a lot of work done in the quiet with the benefit of both my computer monitors, probably even more than if I had tried to work off my tiny laptop screen at home. I need to get a dongle or something so I can actually use my monitor at home on those rare telework days.
And then I made my way home. The game was over by then. The largest crowds had already dissipated but there were still a lot of people around and so the train was packed with standing room only, even with how frequently trains were coming. People who had been to the game, people leaving work, friends going out, all kinds of unique people speaking various languages were together, riding the same train. There is so much beauty in the diversity of this city.
So on a day when I could have dwelled in frustration that no one told me I could have stayed home, I truly enjoyed myself.
No comments:
Post a Comment