Thursday, July 23, 2026

A hummingbird and a Carolina Wren helped me exorcise his ghost

I don't know what led me here tonight but I was a the Atlanta Botanical Gardens for their Thursday evening Cocktails in the Garden event.  I was there for music, flowers, and a drink.  But when the flute and piano duo took a break, my feet lead me to the Perennial Garden.  I have always loved this garden for the diversity of its flowers.  And in this garden is a bench where my ex-husband would always sit, disappearing into his phone as he impatiently waited for me to take the photos I wanted to take.

He sat there so many times, I felt like his ghost remained.  I realized today that I, myself, had never actually sat on that bench.  And so I sat down and pulled out my journal and this is what I wrote.

"In honor of my beloved wife Diane Pennington"

A well worn bench,
uneven slates, seams coming apart,
covered in green and white lichen,
a plaque dedicating it to a beloved wife

Here, his ghost sits
head bent over
his phone in his hand
unreachable, far removed

I chuckle at the irony
a bench to remember a beloved wife
became an oasis of avoidance
of another wife's love

I sit down
the uneven curve of the seat
feels unfamiliar beneath me
I gaze out at the view

A hummingbird pauses briefly
joining my company
A Carolina Wren sings
as a breeze whispers

His absent presence fades
as colorful flowers, fragrance,
and a joyful melody
wrap me in an embrace

I sit a bit longer
breathing in, before moving on
A bit later, the clouds open up
drowning the last remnants of his ghost

No comments:

Post a Comment

Grounding myself after a challenging week

The fly that has been living in my apartment for the past two days followed me out the door this morning.  That was my sign that things were...