Saturday, August 1, 2026

Captain of a Bocce Ball Team

I signed up as a free agent for the Atlanta Bocce Ball League for the late summer season.  I haven't played bocce ball in years but I thought it would be fun and a great way to meet people.  The seasons starts this coming Tuesday.

I logged in late last week to see if I had been placed on a team and whether the schedule had been released yet.  You can imagine my surprise to see my name listed as the captain of our team.  So I'm now studying the league rules and trying to figure out what my responsibilities are as a Captain.  I probably should reach out to my team to make sure all that signed up truly are coming.

And when my colleague expressed interest in playing, I switched gears into recruiting.  There are four people on our team which is the minimum.  For any specific game, we can't play with less than 2 (3 in the tournament) but it wouldn't hurt to have an extra or two for weeks when people can't make it.

I've gone through a range of emotions since I first learned I was designated captain.  At first it felt really intimidating.  Just signing up for the league felt like a stretch for me.  I don't even know how good I am because of how long it has been and with how little seriousness I took it the few times I played.  

As I replay the memories in my mind, I realize it was actually my ex-husband who had more interest.  (I chuckle at this realization.). We had a set of balls at one point.  I wonder if he took it in the divorce or if we had already donated it during a previous purge.  I remember taking it camping with my family.  I often sat by the fire and chatted with my Dad or others while the kids played with my ex-husband and/or my Mom.

Then I started thinking about all the ways I am expanding myself and how successful everything has been this far.  I'm even seriously trying to fit in another Improv class.  And I just signed up for Time Left and am scheduled for dinner next Wednesday with five strangers at a restaurant I'll learn about the morning of.  If I can do all these others things, I can definitely handle being captain for a social league. So I got this and it's going to be fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Grounding myself after a challenging week

The fly that has been living in my apartment for the past two days followed me out the door this morning.  That was my sign that things were...